Friday, February 5, 2021

LLED 469 

Learning Log #2 

 

For the first part of Learning Log 2, discuss one of the following:  

A classroom teacher wants you as the teacher-librarian to participate in a more traditional research process as an initial foray into the use of the SLLC and inquiry practices.  Discuss what you would do, and why.  



First of all, it is important to address why inquiry-based learning is important.

Why Inquiry?

The following quotes provide insight into this popular question:

"Inquiry-based learning is a useful method that educators should embrace, as it helps to enhance the learning experience of students. The method gives children the opportunity to take a hands-on approach in their education while obtaining several important skills that can be used at all levels of their learning, and even into their future careers." -Oxford Learning



"No longer can it be assumed that the teacher is the expert as students actively construct their own personal understandings of information. This kind of learning is accomplished within a model of inquiry such as has been advocated by many leading educators and endorsed by the AASL in its Standards for the 21st-Century Learner."- BCTLA Points of Inquiry



  Taking a few minutes to discuss quotes such as above is a good starting point when beginning the collaborative process.

  

If approached by a classroom teacher to support a traditional research topic, there are subtle options that I can suggest, to encourage inquiry-based learning. Things that I consider important in the initial stage:

*Introduce ideas in a non-intimidating or overwhelming manner

*Listen to the classroom teacher to understand their objectives of the project

*Consider teaching preferences and styles 

*Know your colleagues and to be able to gauge who may be more open to bigger changes, or who may benefit more from smaller adaptations. As Stripling states, “teacher-librarians must decide how to enhance the teacher’s instruction and impact the learning without disrupting the teacher’s preferred teaching style. (2012) 


Donham discusses ways a teacher-librarian can support teachers when introducing inquiry.

When approached by a classroom teacher to support a research project, suggest adaptations to include a focus on concept-based thinking. This includes learning that goes beyond the traditional gathering of facts and instead focuses on investigating more complex ideas. As Donham points out, this simple adaptation does not overwhelm teachers with something that is unknown and it does not make teachers abandon something they may like and feel comfortable with. (2010)   

She provides good examples to start with, such as:  

·      Hibernation instead of bears  

·      Extinction instead of dinosaurs 

·      Immigration instead of settlers 

·      Heritage instead of focusing on one specific ethnic groups 

  

 

Sharing this image would be an excellent way to show classroom teachers how this can be accomplished while still including familiar components and outcomes. 

              

  



Keep it simple at first


Maloney (2010) discusses in the article “Solving Problems That Count,” that inquiry-based learning often includes thoughtful questions leading to exploration and investigation that sometimes leads to solving ideas to complex world issues. This can be overwhelming or intimidating for those with limited experience in inquiry based learning. Trevor Mackenzie discusses that passion, curiosity, and willingness of the teacher are instrumental in teaching inquiry lessons and projects, and I would start with this as opposed to diving into complex inquiry focuses. 

 


Support classroom teachers


 Stripling (2012) suggests the following strategies to support a classroom teacher: 

·      Pursue an embedded librarian strategy, which includes going to the classroom to co-teach teach the process and model skills and scaffolds that are not directly taught by the classroom teacher

·      Develop and co-teach information skills and target skills necessary for inquiry-based learning

  

Meeting the needs of learners

Showing how inquiry-based teaching meets the needs of learners and educators is a powerful avenue to explore with teachers who may be unfamiliar with the process. The points listed by Bathurst-Hunt and Mackenzie and Crick is a solid place to start. Some of these key characteristics include: play, curiosity, creativity, opportunities to follow passions, knowing curriculum and students, time to reflect and revise, making meaning, learning with and from others, an awareness of self as a learner, and resilience. (Bathurst-Hunt, Mackenzie, Crick)

Discussing how and why these characteristics could be implemented is a good start in the  collaborative process to enhance or adapt a traditional research project. I would suggest examining the list together and choosing one or two characteristics to focus on. 


Highlighting the benefits of inquiry-based learning is important in the initial stages of collaboration. I have browsed many articles and blogs that provide information on the benefits of inquiry-based teaching, and the following is a list of additional reasons that I would share with colleagues to invoke discussion. 


  

Here are 7 additional benefits for discussion: 

·      Reinforce curriculum content: “Whereas some see inquiry-based learning as a departure from the curriculum, you can use it to reinforce relevant content and improve understanding of core concepts." This statement opens up opportunities for fantastic discussions with school staff to discuss the potential that inquiry-based learning can provide. 

·      Warms up the brain for learningThis refers to how inquiry can help students absorb and retain information throughout the day.  Further discussed is how curiosity prepares the brain for learning and allows learners to become more proficient. I might equate this with a “problem of the day” lesson that many of my colleagues use. 

·      Helps make learning rewarding: This point relates to students generating their own questions and topics for learning, thereby taking ownership of their learning. 

·      Builds initiative and self-direction: This discusses how inquiry can help students see the intrinsic rewards of inquiry because students are learning with a personal mindset as opposed to completing tasks for teacher or parental approval (which may not yield the same learning benefits or retention).

·      Works in almost any classroom: If a teacher embraces inquiry-based teaching, there are several ways to introduce, adapt and differentiate lessons.

·      Offers differentiated instruction: Last, but certainly not least, is the ability to easily differentiate. In my school, this is something every teacher most focus on, so this point is one I would spend additional time on. Included could be everything from appealing to diverse learning styles, individual or group work opportunities, the type of content that is introduced and accessible, as well as tools for learning and demonstrating learning. 


Access the full article here.

  

  

Other important points to reinforce: 

·      Research skills still occur in inquiry-based learning  

·      Students can still learn to read, identify, and present important facts 

·      Curriculum is still covered 

·      Differentiation is a part of inquiry-based learning

  

Finally, I would like to include these videos: 

  

This first video is something I relate to well. I’m thinking in particular of a colleague who I work with often (mostly with traditionally-based methods) and I know that she, like me, is a very big Harry Potter fan. The first part of this video is something we can connect to and it may spark ideas and connections. 

 



  

  

This second video is rich with realistic and manageable examples. Questions that may arise from this video: Based on these examples, I would ask, is this something we can try? How could we adapt this? Is there something similar we could try? 

  

 


 


For the second part of Learning Log 2, discuss the following:  

  

Identify and discuss some strategies or structures that you could use in the classroom or school library learning commons to foster enjoyment of learning.  

  

Many thoughts immediately come to mind with this question. Students love learning and are naturally inquisitive, so I believe it comes down to providing opportunities for exploration, discovery, and differentiation. A safe environment where learners can take risks is also key. I have led many lessons that were teacher-led and content-driven and I have usually had at least partial engagement from my students. However, if I reflect on how many times I had complete engagement, I doubt it would as high as I would like. When I provide lessons that are center-based, with choice and free exploration, I almost always see a higher participation rate. When I offer choice, I usually see more initial engagement, which indicates that it is a powerful part in promoting enjoyment for learning. 

  

In addition to strategies and activities that promote the enjoyment of learning it is also important to provide a learning environment that promotes this. The article "Learning that Sticks: Engaged Educators + Engaged Leaners" discusses this: "A positive, safe, respectful, and responsive educational environment is a powerful component of the 21st-century learning landscape." (2011) When a learning environment such as this is in place, the opportunities are endless, and enjoyment, curiosity and creativity can thrive. 

  

There are a host of resources that affirm my ideas for fostering enjoyment for learning but one stood out to me in particular: "Ways to Instill A Love of Learning in Children," 

by Ashley Cullins


Click here to access full resource

 Key ideas discussed include:


·      Help Children Discover Interests and Passions: This can be accomplished by offering a variety of rich activities. Connect to personal experiences and provide opportunities to explore in authentic experiences as often as possible.  Read lots of stories and discuss story vocabulary. Watch videos together and discuss ideas, provide visuals and real artifacts.


·       Provide Hands-On Experiences: Kinesthetic, hands-on learning opportunities is something that I write in almost every IEP. Children need exposure to this form of learning to truly deepen their understanding. This is one that I feel is specifically important to consider, as it is a key component in most primary programs, but can sometimes become more limited as children age. I believe it should be included in all aspects of learning, especially in the initial stages of new learning. 


·       Make Learning Fun: This is paramount! When we perceive things as the fun we are naturally invested and engaged. This then leads to the potential for many other learning opportunities. I have been lucky enough to see students so engaged in a task that they thought was ‘simply fun’ that they didn’t even perceive them as learning activities! 


·       Demonstrate Your Own Passion: As teachers, we know that modelling expectations, strategies, and work samples are best practices. We know that students learn best by hearing and watching examples, and this includes sharing and modelling our passions as well. In my experience, my students are often eager and excited to learn about my life, so sharing my passions for learning are important. In addition to showing students excitement for learning it also builds connections and relationships.


·       Find Your Child's Learning Style: In the classroom, this translates to knowing your students. This is crucial to student success and should be a driving force in how we plan and implement learning intentions and activities.  This is also where I see differentiation fitting in. 


·       Have Discussions, Not Lectures: This point made me think a little more. I would not necessarily have included it in my list but it is valuable and has a place when thinking of how to plan for optimal student learning. Talking with, instead of at, can absolutely affect how we engage and interact, and thus the buy-in to learning. 


·       Be Supportive and Encouraging: In the classroom, I see this as providing a climate in which "failure" does not exist. Things may not work as originally intended and alterations my need to occur but that does not translate into failure. All participants (including teachers) inquire, explore, attempt, and reflect. A passion for learning and inquiry could thrive in classroom environments that are based on support and encouragement by all members



One additional idea that I would add would be to embrace collaborative learning. Learning to work with one another is a powerful skill and strategy. 




 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home